Mesir Wat - Ethiopian Lentil Stew
Watch How to Make It Here:
This is ALL TIME GO-TO DISH. The smell and the flavour of the Mesir Wot is just heavenly. This is a budget dish (around $1.50 per serve) that tastes and looks like you have made a huge effort in the kitchen. In fact, within 10 minutes cooking time and then popped into the EasyOven for an hour, you are will on your way to making an all-time favourite. Sooo filling, tastes divine and Oh did I tell you that this is so cheap to make J.
2 cups Red Lentils - split and dried
1 Onion – medium, diced
1 teaspoon Salt
5 Garlic cloves – peeled, finely diced
1/3 cup Oil
2 tablespoons Bebere seasoning
450 grams (1 can) Tomatoes – crushed
3 cups water
1. Place lentils in a bowl and cover with water
2. In a pot add oil, garlic, and onion. Sauté till brown.
3. Add berbere seasoning, water and tomatoes.
4. Drain lentils, then add to pot. Mix well.
5. Cover the pan and simmer for 8- 10 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking to the base of the pot.
6. Place pot inside the EasyOven for a further 1 hour.
7. Serve with rice, flat bread and a natural yogurt (it even’s out the spice).